Nothing matches the taste, the fragrance, and the sip of hot espresso coffee. It could be a great option to have your favorite drink at home instead of visiting an expensive cafe. As some of you go for filter coffee, but some go with the espresso. Though some of you all have questions like – Are filter coffee and espresso the same? So the answer is no, as these brews have their own origin. The only difference is in the firmness of grinding and brew timing. You can enjoy both the drinks if you perfectly prepared it.
Here we arrive with Barista express by Breville to creating cafe-quality espresso at home. The most desirable machine for espresso lovers. This kitchen appliances design to add spark in producing a perfect beverage. Thanks to its technology, with an integrated conical burr grinder, allow you to host a coffee day at your place. To see how well it taste or works way better than a coffee shop. Read on and dive deep into this Breville Barista Express review. Shall we?
Breville Barista Express BES870XL Review: First Impressions
|Dimensions: 16″(T) X 13.5″(W) X 12.5″(D)||Weight: 23.00 Pounds|
|Voltage Rate: 110-120 V||Power Rate: 1600 W|
|Sleep Mode: 1 Hour||Auto-Off Mode: 3 Hours|
|Construction:Brushed Stainless Steel||Water Tank Capacity: 67 oz/Removable|
|Bean Hopper Capacity: 1/2 lb- 25 shots||Warranty: 2 Years|
- It has digital temperature control (PID) that ensures optimal extraction.
- Its in-built conical burr grinder allows you to grind what you need in the portafilter.
- This machine has a 1600 watt thermocoil heating system for a quick start.
- It has a 360-degree moveable steam wand that makes steaming easy.
- A beginner-friendly device but also suitable for experts.
- Breville is a well-known device for building an excellent burr grinder.
- It has a 16 grind setting allows you to get fine-tune grind size.
- Push in the portafilter and get an automatic grind dose.
- It has an integrated charcoal filter water tank.
- There is a “clean/descale” light that will flash when its time for the cleaning cycle.
- One of the fantastic features, when the drip tray gets full, a small yellow sign pops up with the “Empty Me” tag that indicates you for cleaning.
- It even comes with cleaning disc and cleaning tablets.
- The machine creates steam, a pumping noise.
- All parts should be cleaned by hands.
- A bit pricey.
Exclusive Points of Barista Express
1. Dose Control Grinding
United with stainless steel conical burr grinder. It maximizes the right ground coffee for a full espresso flavor taste with any roast of beans. The upper and lower burrs are removable for cleaning.
2. Adjustable Grind Size Dial
Its straightforward espresso grind setting helps you to select from the fine to coarse optimal extraction. It gives you all the control over grinding the size no matter what type of beans you took. Though, its adjustable grind amount helps you in adjusting the fresh ground dosed into the filter basket to suit the fineness or coarseness.
3. Automatic Filter Size Button
Along with the grind amount button, you’ll find a filter size button. It allows you to select whether you want a single or double cup. Automatic dosing works itself by your one press and tells the machine for cup selection.
4. Precise Espresso Extraction
Its Digital temperature control factor (PID) delivers water at the right temperature. This adjustable temperature control ensures the optimal extraction for personal coffee preference and flavor.
With this semi-automatic Breville Barista Express, get the tasty espresso in less than a minute.
The designing quality build of Italian made parts that ensure a real finest look. Sizing about as a standard drip coffee maker bu twice as wide. If we compare with other espresso machines, this one is larger and physically stronger. The stainless steel chassis, portafilter, and handle attachment helps in enhancing the look. Moreover, large bean hopper, burr grinder, and pressure gauge seal its grave look.
Its amazing constructed body fits well on a countertop or under any cabinets, though your kitchen definitely gets a stylish look. Beside brushed stainless steel finish, it also comes in cranberry red and black sesame varieties, which look stunning.
2. Setup Process
Let’s start with the top. The most apparent highlight is built-in, conical burr grinder, and bean hopper. The bean hopper on the top is easy to remove. You can also feed into a high-quality burr grinder. Its great conical burrs and 16 grind setting allow you fine-tune size.
Further down, look at the display, the buttons, and the dashboard. It gives a remarkable option of deciding if you want a single or double shot. By its filter basket and filter size button, you can select the number of cups. You can choose the “dial-in” that use a non-pressurized basket or for “lazy mode” go with pressurized basket. Then push the port-filter into the grinding basket. By hitting this button, it grinds the perfect amount of coffee into your filter. Lock the port-filter and let the machine start extracting by pressing a single and double cup button. By all this, the Breville began with a “pre-infusion stage.” This means that the machine applies low water pressure at the start of the extraction to even.
The Barista Express is fast and easy to use, but it requires patience in the first time around. Starting from the tamping the shot. A tamping requires a good tamper. This machine comes with a handy and sufficient weight tamper. Use the little finesse brush, a tamper, and the “razor,” a trimming tool that measures out the perfect shots and discard excess. Although each part has its purpose in producing an excellent cup of coffee. Read down some essential features.
- The Pressure Gauge
Its pressure gauge monitor communicates the Breville’s brewing chops. It is located in the center front on the control panel. The circular dial on of the pressure gauge displays whether the internal pump is pushing hot water through your coffee grounds. It tells the shot quality based on the pressure level.
- Calculating the 1 Cup and 2 Cup Shot
The filter size button on the dashboard helps you to choose between the 1-cup or 2-cup. The single basket resembles the 1cup and the dual basket with 2 cups. It’s essential to know about this feature as many of you get confused. This process is recommended to be done while there is coffee in the portafilter. Fill the hopper and set the grind amount according to your need. Place the portafilter into the grinding cradle and press it with the flat of one palm, and then it will automatically grind out to the selected size and amount. Tamp or packed by tapping the portafilter several times and then press down with the tamper. At last, you achieved the right flat surface for the machine by rotating the tool “Razor” back and forth in the portafilter.
At last, press the program button, and both cup buttons start blinking. Pay close attention to the amount of espresso. Press the cup 1 for water flow and stabilizing the machine temperature. And again, press the cup 1 for a single shot and cup 2 buttons for two shots if using a dual filter basket. The machine will automatically stop when your beverage is ready.
- Milk Frothing
Frothing the milk is a smooth process. However, this machine helps you make excellent espresso, cappuccino, or silky microfoam for a latte. But first, you have to learn how to produce steam and froth milk with Barista Express. The most fantastic feature is the steam wand movement that makes the steaming simple.
The steam wand performance a desirable task of creating hand texture micro-foam milk. It enhances the flavor and enables the creation of art. But make sure the machines “Hot water/Steam” light is on in the front and turn the dial on the right side for steam. As you may get the air into the foam, so do practice if it’s your first time.
Though it includes a drip tray with easy cleaning and a removable water tank with a sturdy handle. Overall the Express steam wand allows you to create coffee shop drinks with good volume, high temperature, and smooth microfoam.
4. Cleaning and Care
All the espresso machines demand deep cleaning to stay in good working order. Even so, Barista Express comes with several accessories or tools that are simple for deep cleaning.
- After making a shot clean up right away to prevent more difficulties in the cleanup.
- Rinse the portafilter and basket with hot water immediately after use to remove oil.
- Cleaning of the steam wand is vital once the milk dries, it gets difficult to remove.
- As water tank is removable so you can remove it to rinse thoroughly with fresh and clean water.
- Turn on the hot water and steam to flush the decalcifying solution from the machine.
- It comes with cleaning disc and tablets that ensures the rinse of the portafilter.
- There is “Allen Key” to undo the screw in the middle, which opens the showerhead.
- Use pin if any hole in the filter basket is blocked.
- Use the cleaning brush to move in and out or circular in the grinder.
As all, you come to know that this a semi-automatic machine that allows easy making. Its parts and dashboard are so explicit that any beginner soon gets used to it. But always read the instruction booklet before handling it.
- Forever check the bean hopper as if it’s not correctly locked into the position, then “filter size led” will flash.
- Monitor the water level before use and replace the water daily (recommended cold, filter water).
- It’s essential to note down the amount of espresso extracted that depends on the grind size.
- Ensure the drip tray is firmly pushed into place and emptied whenever “Empty me” indicated.
- Keep an eye on steam/hot water light as it will flash after 5 minutes of continuous steaming. At this point, return the dial to the “standby” position.
- It’s normal to have over-filled portafilter with ground coffee before tamping but make sure to in-tamped it.
6. Accessories Included
- Stainless Steel Milk Jug
- 54mm Cleaning Disc
- Cleaning tablets
- 1 Cup & 2 Cup Dual Wall Filter Basket
- Allen Key
- Cleaning Tool
- Water Filter Holder and Filter
- Coffee Scoop for Pre-Ground Coffee
- The Razor 54mm Precision Dose Trimming Tool
- Cleaning Brush
If you’re looking for a cafe-quality coffee at home, look no further than Breville Barista Express. Since there is no need to buy your favorite cup of joe as this machine offers you to make 6 different flavors. Get the silky taste and velvety mouthfeel of pure microfoam milk. Yet the steaming with pressure creates thousands of tiny bubbles. While the temperature brings out the milk’s sweetness and excites your taste buds.
This coffee maker is easy to use and no need to purchase a fancy complicated machine. Instead, you can rely on this semi-automatic express. However, its two dual-wall pressurized filters work automatically. Plus, you can also adjust the setting to make the process easier according to your need. Just press the button and wait for all the magic.
Overall no matter how proficient maker you are, everybody wants to enjoy the cup of joe without putting much efforts. And for those coffee lovers, Breville Barista Express is a fabulous choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is this Barista Express worth to buy?
With a great variety of coffee makers in the market, most of the customers prefer this machine as it produces a creamy, rich, full flavor mouthfeel java. Here are the top 7 reasons that convince you to pick this right now.
- No matter what your kitchen size is, it comes in a compact size. Adds attractiveness to your kitchen.
- This machine has many default setting that makes it easy to use.
- Come along with the cleaning kit and has a fantastic feature “clean me” that pop-ups automatically when the cleaning period arrived.
- It has various features that help to make excellent coffee.
- This machine ranks on #1 as best sellers in Espresso machine.
2. How many types of coffee does this Barista make?
Enjoy or make 6 different types of coffee at your place and surprise everyone with your coffeepot skills. Try making these 6 flavors-
3. Can this Barista be caught up to hot water?
No, as it is recommended for cold filter water as this machine is equipped with a water tank that is integrated with charcoal. Always check the water level before use and replace water daily. As we don’t recommend the use of distilled water nor any other liquid.